View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Daylesewblessed

I think you have to ask who buys quilts and why. It is not for the practicality of getting a nice "blanket" to keep them warm. It is rarely because people appreciate the skill and talent involved in quilting. Even if they did appreciate it, they can go to quilt shows to view spectacular quilts and not have to buy them. On the other hand, when sentimentality is involved, the money comes forward. People will pay for t-shirt quilts made with t-shirts that have sentimental value to the person they gift too. They may also value quilts made by someone in their family, past or present if they are treasuring memories and heritage. There are some people interested in various cultures or in history, and they may buy a quilt from a certain place or time in history. Some will buy a raffle quilt to support a cause that is important to them, and when they win, they don't know what to do with the quilt.

Some people recognize and appreciate good workmanship in anything even if they don't know what the materials cost and how much time is spent. That doesn't mean they will be willing to pay for it. But they sure won't pay for sub-standard workmanship unless they are trying to be kind to the seller (I have seen that with items from 3rd world countries or made by someone the buyer knows really needs the money).

Personally, I make quilts for family members (mostly new babies), and I try to have the design have some personal meaning. My family seems to treasure these because they love me. I also make many more quilts for charity. For the quilt auction (Bible Camp) I have been told that my quilts are "quirky" -- that is, they are unique. For Project Linus and Lutheran World Relief, my quilts are made to suit the recipient. They are durable, and although the design may not be outstanding, the workmanship does not insult the recipient.

The picture below is of a "Scrabble" quilt we made for my mother -- it has the names of all of the members of the family on it. The joy of giving it, working with my sisters, and seeing the appreciation my mother exhibited was worth so much more than any money!
Attached Thumbnails scrabblegiving.jpg