View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I really can't give a fair assessment as I have no die cutter and have never tried one. But in my experience and observations most people who have problems cutting strips isn't so much their cutting technique but how the fabric is folded before they make their first cut. If the fabric isn't folded correctly the resulting strips will have a dog leg in them or be uneven in some places. I take a lot of time to ensure my folds are straight which often means the cut ends of the fabric piece don't line up (before I take my first cut from yardage). Even then I will sometimes have a strip that may be just a wee bit off somewhere. I make up for it when I piece by lining up the edges opposite of where I am sewing so the short fall in my cutting is in my seam allowance. So accuracy in piecing can have a bigger impact on the end unit than cutting. That said there are certain patterns I want to make but have not tried and would love to have them die cut. Like winding ways, but that is curved so irrelevant to your question.

Edited to add that I have found my cutting is much more accurate if the fabric is well starched but I don't always take the time to starch before I start cutting.