View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 08:03 PM
JJBlaine

I remembered a list of essential tools I made for my niece, who is learning to quilt:

• a rotary cutter and extra blades-find one that feels good in your hand, and don't hesitate to change the blade. A nice, sharp blade is not only safer, but cuts more accurately and is easier on your hand
  • a cutting mat (24x36 is my preferred size)- invest in a good one, will last you for years
  • a couple of rulers
    • 6x12- This is the ruler I use the most
    • 6x24- Is very useful because you can cut from selvage to selvage with just one fold
    • 12-1/2x12-1/2 and 6-1/2x6-61/2- I use these a lot to square up my blocks, but can wait if they are not in your budget right away
  • an iron-even a cheap one, so long as it gets very hot. The $10 one I bought at WM years ago was better than anything I have been able to buy since. Pressing is almost as important as cutting when quilting
  • Starch- It will be your best friend when quilting, especially when sewing fabric on the diagonal (bias)
  • A 1/4" presser foot- but, if you don't have one, you can always just mark a 1/4" with some blue painters tape. I did that for years.
  • Extra sharp, extra fine pins with glass heads- The glass ones will not melt if you use iron one. Extra fine will help immensely with accuracy, and is less likely to damage your machine if you accidentally sew over it.
  • A seam ripper- No matter how long or how good you get at quilting (or sewing), you will be using this. More than I care to admit.