View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Friday1961

Great advice from everyone.

I had sewn forever. I bought a used Singer 99K when I first went to work -- which I still have and which still sews great, though I now have other machines, as well -- and made all my own clothes, a lot of baby clothes, household items, etc -- even made my husband a suit! I'd always been interested in quiltmaking, but didn't have time to devote to learning about it while working, raising a family -- the usual demands of life.

When I finally did have time, I found a lot of help online (I'm a self taught/self learner). Rotary cutter, mat and ruler cutting were foreign to me so I read and watched video about that, and how to fold and trim fabric in preparation for that kind of cutting. I also had a cousin who quilted, and although long distance, she was a great resource. My first quilt was a 9 patch throw size. No pattern, just pictures, and then decisions about the size of the patches, and how many blocks. In the beginning I loved the cutting, the precision of it, I think. (Now I hate cutting! lol).

The 9 patch is simple, and it taught me the importance of matching seams -- can't stress too much how important matching seams is if you want your quilt to look good....and your blocks square.....and even then you have to square up.

Learn your machine first, then start slow, do something simple that won't overwhelm and that you can finish, look at, and be proud of. Before you know it, you'll be making quilts you hadn't dreamed of. And you'll never stop learning.....at least I haven't. This board is a terrific resource! Lots of wonderful help and encouragement and ideas and problem solving and sympathy and admiration to be found here.

Congratulations on your new hobby and good luck!

Last edited by Friday1961; 01-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.