View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Orson

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
If I can do it, you can. If you will notice, Joe Miller said take out the cam stack. Miriam said not to. I went the cowards way and didn't take it out. After I read the service manual (you can get a copy of copy here), I think I could have replaced it, but have not really had any problems with it.
You can do it. It's not hard, just time consuming. You may have to clean it 6 or 7 times before you find all the sticky places, but you'll also learn a lot about how the machine works while you do it.
Again, thanks. I already have a copy of the service manual, so I'm not totally in the dark. Thanks also for the tips on what to use and where not to apply it. I'd hate to remove any paint. Our current plan is to watch the video tutorials and then set them up side-by-side to get both running at the same time, or almost at the same time. I'm thinking that a second pair of eyes wouldn't be a bad thing in this case.

I've noticed that the feed dogs on the first machine don't seem to travel as well as they should, i.e., a long stitch doesn't seem to be as long as it should be, and tiny stitches are almost piled on top of each other. Any tips for addressing that, or is that something that could work itself out with proper cleaning and lubrication?