View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Orson

Default Holy cow. You all aren't going to believe this.

Yesterday morning I posted on Facebook about the two 401As I had acquired and about my plans to refurbish them. I had an appointment yesterday afternoon, and took a route to it that, while not out of my way, is one I don't use as often as others. While on that street I was stuck behind a very slow moving vehicle, and that gave me the opportunity to glance around a bit more than I usually do. I saw something very familiar looking in someone's trash bin and made a note to check it out on my return trip.

I went to my appointment, then ran some errands. On my way back from my errands a friend messaged me, saying she had the same machine in her attic that she'd seen in my Facebook post, and it was mine if I wanted it. Well, duh! Of course I wanted it! I didn't really expect it to be a 401A, though, since people who aren't familiar with sewing machines often can't tell them apart from one another. To my utter delight it was definitely a 401A. I now have 3 of these lined up on my dining room table, and I'm just waiting for my TriFlow and contact cleaner to arrive from Amazon.

Oh, that thing I saw in the trash bin? It was exactly what I thought it was: a vintage Singer sewing bench. It needs a little TLC, but I've already got the fabric picked out for reupholstering it. I've even got a buyer lined up for one of the machines, if we get them cleaned up and running well. I'm kind of over the moon about this turn of events.