View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 05:05 PM
JJBlaine

I took a years long hiatus from quilting. Before, I bought a lot of fabrics at bargain prices for stash. I would also decide to make a particular quilt (usually for a class or workshop) and buy everything I needed for the quilt, plus extra in case I decided to make pillowcases or a matching mini. I ended up with a pile of UFOs and a bunch of fabrics that are either hard to match, or that I'm not particularly fond of anymore.

Now, I am quilting much differently. I have realized that I really like making scrappies, so I buy fabric much differently. Last year, I started cutting down my fabrics into the sizes I use the most. There were a few spots I was pretty low on, so I did go buy FQs. Now that I have a nice balance, I only buy yardage when I really need it, like for sashing or a border, and I only buy what I need.

The money I save buy not buying random fabrics for stash is used for buying staples. For example, I bought an entire roll of W&N and a whole bolts of fusible interfacing and plain white flannel when they were 70% off.