Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
Thanks all...I have tried every method including Jenny's (snowballing ends). And I love discovering Donna Jordan..so many great tutorials but was not able to find the one describing her method for points. I have seen many examples of sewing HST's and some tutorials show completed block such as the squared in a square with corners. those blocks would not result in crisp points either bc the angle point is right ON the edge..there is no room for a 1/4" seam so those corners get sewn into regardless. I believe it might be the nature of the bear-paw and probably others to lose those points. if so, it bugs me enough i will just not make quilts w/ those types of blocks.
Square in a square can be sewn with the technique where corners are added to the center square, and the points will be just fine. You just have to start with the right size squares on the corners and then sew accurately. Sometimes it's easier to paper piece some blocks. The bear paw is not the easiest block to sew because it does demand accuracy, but as feline showed, it can be done. And if something is just a little off, it won't affect the overall beauty of the quilt.

Thanks to Dakota Rose for reminding me of Donna Jordan's videos. I just watched her lone star from a jelly roll and now I want to make one!