View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Iceblossom

A 16th of an inch is barely a smidge over the seam line when you count that your inaccuracy is doubled by either side of the seam. It's why having a consistent seam is one of the most important things you can do to improve your quilting skills, you can learn how to work if things consistently come out a bit too big or too small, but those tiny little increments really add up by the time you get to blocks and rows.

I have vision issues and I've never fussed about 1/8" much less 1/16th (old rule for cutting triangles was add 7/8th to desired finished size -- 1 inch was close enough!). Cut big and trim down. Buy some clear/grid plastic if you need to. I also make what I call "snubs" and those are templates to use to trim with so often rather odd shapes. Typically I use the cardboard that comes in some fat quarters or on the back of paper pads to make them, draw out the shape on graph paper and tape that to the cardboard, makes it thick enough to hold a ruler in place. I write on the snub saying exactly what to do and what it is for, lol with arrows and such if I feel the need for reminders.