View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Schill93

Default How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt?

I am a newer quilter, but have become addicted to fabric as many of you can relate to, so in the past year and a half I have quite a stash now. My only quilts so far however have been made from pre-cuts where the designer usually provides twenty different prints in the collection.

I have heard it mentioned by various YouTube personalities that the “more” the better. Since the largest majority of my stash is now in yardage (about 2000 yards of different prints), I have a pretty good selection. But I still have a problem selecting 18 or 20 different prints that work “Really Well” together. I might find ten that work really well together, but then as I go the next ten might be “can work” prints. I realize that you can make a two color quilt, and they can be very pretty. But other than those two or three color quilts, do you find that “the more prints the better.” Do using 20 different well coordinated prints usually look better than using ten?

I know there are no rules and you can use whatever you want, but that is not what I am addressing. I am addressing the asthetics of a quilt. Do you find that being able to put say 20 different prints together is usually more pleasing than using 10?