Old 05-22-2019, 06:17 AM
kwendt

Default Thread in an Embroidery Machine? Really that picky?

Next newbie question. When I was gifted the Babylock Ellegante, I also got two BIG boxes of embroidery thread. Some of its Metro, some is I think an ‘off brand’, some is ISO something or other. About half is brand new. The Babylock dealer warns me to use only recommended thread like Brother, Mettler or Floriani... and particularly warned me about using ‘Ebay’ thread. Yet I have all this other thread that came with the machine...

What do I do? I seriously can’t afford to replace all that thread. Plus the original owner used it in the machine? Are Embroidery machines really that picky? What are the usual ‘symptoms’ you get when a machine doesn’t ‘like’ the thread? Maybe my dealer just wants me to buy expensive thread from them? I hope and assume that there’s a way to tell when it’s a thread issue and not a hooping or stabilizer issue?

For the record... I use Guitermann thread for sewing projects, coats and Clark machine cotton for piecing. I see online that there are many ‘Brother’ Embroidery threads for sale... but if read carefully, they are off brand. Somebody must be able to use them, since lots are sold... ? What thread do you find that works well with your embroidery machines?

Any advice will be appreciated.