View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 03:17 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I’m not an insurance agent, but this is a thought. If your insurance is covered by your homeowners policy, is the amount your machines are worth taking away a large chunk of replacement of other possessions? Let’s say you have $200,000 in homeowners coverage, and your LA and a nice sewing machines are worth $30-40K. Your house (gawd forbid) burns to the ground. If your homeowners policy covers your machines at full replacement value, that’s taking off $30-40K towards the replacement of everything else in your house. That’s a big chunk of change. Could you replace all of your other possessions for $160-170K? Do you need to increase the amount of your homeowners policy? Or would a separate rider on your policy be better?
Cindi ... you're bang on!
No, I am no more an insce agent than you are, but definitely the guidelines I was given by my agent.
My agent is good in that he will always answer what-if questions/scenarios. Actually encourages them.
After my sister had a house fire, can you imagine the questions I had for him??
All for where their coverage seemingly came up short.
Was it their lack of action? Or an agent who was not working with them, for their benefit?
Not for me to ask ... but it sure made me ask my agent. We tweaked a few things in my policy.

That's where everyone needs to get down to the nitty-gritty with their agents.
It's not always how much insce is in place, but what that insce covers (or not!).
And, all the different possibilities.

Likewise for the contents value (or even your dwelling's value)...
... how many people have increased that value on a regular basis?
Or has one continued with the same insured values from twenty years ago?

It could be a very sad time, if there is a loss.