View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Libits

Default To Turn or Not To Turn?

Back from the family vacation so that means I’m back to the puppy quilt. I’m at the quilting stage (ugh). I have 6 blocks where the quilting will be a problem because of the size: 9” width by 11.5” length. I’m using Warm and White so the quilting guidelines say up to 10” can be unquilted. Here’s my pickle and question #2 is actually more important than question #1:

1. Using an outline stitch around the puppy is distracting as is using a diamond or straight stich around or through it so I decided to use a wavy straight stitch around the inside of the blocks. I can start ½” from the edge of it so that brings the unquilted area to 8”. The stitch itself weaves in and out ½” so that brings it to 7.5” of unquilted area. I should be OK for the width. The length will be tight…I should end up at 10” exactly of unquilted area. Is this going to be OK? I’m nervous that it’s so close to the recommendations. As I’ve said, I don’t see this quilt being used to be cuddled or dragged around but more as a keepsake but I still don’t want a big ball of batting inside a block.

1. What do I do about the wavy lines and ending them? I can play with the stitch length a little but with 6 blocks and 4 sides, it’s inevitable that I’m going to end in the middle of a wavy pattern. I’ve tried turning it without breaking the stitch line and, occasionally it gives an interesting bend in the road but at other times it just looks dumb. Do I stop the stitching line at the end of each corner and start a new stitching line after the turn?

This is one of those moments when I wish someone would have smacked me when I picked up this pattern. However, it’s absolutely adorable and now that all the serious thinking and planning has turned out so well, I might just make another one to keep and smile at.