Thread: Too Much Math
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM
dee1245

Originally Posted by L'il Chickadee View Post
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I have enough fabric for a 2.5" bias binding. The quilt top is 64" square, so 64" X 4 is 256", plus two handwidths (16") for the final join and seams comes to 272".
The fabric I want to use has been cut into for border pieces so now the entire length of fabric is 31" wide, not the usual 44". That means my charts for binding requirements are out as well as the formula for dividing total binding inches by 11. These are all calculated on a 44" width fabric, right?
So now, I fold the fabric on a 45 degree angle and measure the length of that bias fold. It is 44". I have about 20 inches to go on the length of fabric which will yield 8 lengths of bias. 8 X 2.5"=20" (Plus the fabric triangles at each end that can be cobbled together if more is needed.) So I think I should get 352" of bias before seaming it together. 8 X 44" =352"
Does this sound right???
I've gotten myself all tangled up in the math sooo many times it's not even funny, I'd hate to whack up this beautiful deep purple fabric only to find I've miscalculated and come up short of what I need. Can anyone help with this or share a better way of figuring it out?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a quilting calculator online at "Quilter's Paradise". It is a free calculator to use online. This is what I came up with for your size quilt: [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3, align: center"]"Regular" Binding Calculations

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Total binding length (inches) = 266
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Number of strips to cut =10
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Binding Yardage = [/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3/4 yards[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: center"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
I seldom do bias binding, but when I do, I use the online calculator for that, also. If you are making bias binding, you will need a 30" square according to the calculator.

Last edited by dee1245; 07-16-2019 at 06:36 PM.