Thread: Quilt Pounce
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
auntspikie

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I would like to know more about marking with markers and pencils. i am so scared to buy the wrong one. i have heard horror stories of them never coming off. Any specific brand? And what type? There are SOOOO many out there! I also thought about the pounce too
I took a workshop with Jill Schumacher and learned so much from her about marking and pinning a quilt. The marking tools that she suggests is: White Stabilo pencils (great on dark fabrics); Nifty Notions Blue markers (great for light fabrics); The Clover Eraser Pen (the ultimate Boo-boo pen--perfect to remove mistakes; and a metal pencil sharpener--does not splinter the wood on the pencil. Both marking tools are water soluble and remove easily with cold water!

Another great tip when you're finished with your quilt is to block it (especially if you're going to put it in a show) is to wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle with 1 tsp. (cap full) of Synthrapol and 1 or 2 Shout Color Catcher sheets (depending on size of quilt or if there is a lot of red in your quilt). This will bleed out the excess dye. Then find an area in your house where you can lay down a sheet and put your wet quilt on and block it. Let it dry and your quilt will hang perfectly straight. I move my dining room table because I have an overhead fan and I turn the fan on and leave it overnight and usually the quilt is dry by morning.

Aunt Spikie