View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 AM
klswift

I often use decorative stitches. When doing a simple smallish quilt, I will often use a wavy leaf stitch down the center of the sashing (whenever I do not feel the need for my walking foot). And, while I admire all those who hand stitch their binding, I machine sew it. And, depending on the design, I might use a simple decorative stitch to sew down the front of the binding. Not only does it add a bit of something, but it also covers any possible slips on the back off the edge of the binding. (I can hear all the purists gasping...LOL) I make a lot of children's quilts and I do not expect them to be kept as heirlooms. I want them to be dragged around, taken outside and truly used. So I make them as sturdy as I can and this is why I machine stitch binding. The use of decorative stitches is just for fun and started when my girls wanted fast and simple cotton skirts for every holiday to wear to school/work. Often I would get the request in the evening for the next day (typical kids!). A yard gathered, add a waistband, a zipper and hem it. All on the machine. I started using a decorative stitch on the front of waistband and the hem and could make the skirt in an hour. Everyone was happy so I started thinking about why not do the same thing for bindings ..hmm ....worked great!