View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
juliasb

Default My Featherweight arrived!!

Of course she is beautiful. A bit of wear but mostly noticeable. A bit of crackle, a very small area, toward the back side of the the machine in back of the throat plate. She has cleaned up nicely and I have her oiled but still not ready to go.
The cords need repaired. The cord going to the foot pedal is not even attached. It looks as though a mouse may have chewed a little on the cord. It is probably something I can fix. The cord is soft and pliable with no smell of burning rubber. I look at that as a good sign. I could probably shorten the cord by about 2" and reattach the wiring. There is also a small spot that has electrical tape on it.
I have not seen any unusual wear to the electrical from the underside of the machine. All the parts seem to be moving freely.
It does appear it should have a new belt and bobbin gasket. The belt has a lot of play to it.
The rubber feet on the bottom of the machine should be replaced as they are starting to fall apart some.

I also went on and dated the machine. I hope I got it right. The serial # is: AJ130271. So it reads to be made in 1949, one of 40,000 made and with a release date of March 15, 1949.

The case has a few scuff marks. But no smell of must or mildew.
So far I am very happy with this find. Once I can really begin to do some sewing with it I will be thrilled! hopefully by next week I should have things together.