View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 AM
Koda1021

Hi everyone!
Thank you for all the awesome responses, it gave me a lot to think about! I actually had a buyer for my Janome earlier this week. I took a hit price-wise, but we had some unexpected expenses so I needed to just go through with the sale.

That said, I'm now trying to plan for which machine to get. The info and insights you've all given me is great. But I was hoping to get one more piece of thoughts/advice. Used versus new. As several of you have pointed out, service is an important factor and these machines are something that eventually will need to be serviced. If I'm understanding correctly, any of the major brands (Viking, Pfaff, etc.) if you buy a used machine, you don't qualify for service, correct? If you need it worked on, you have to pay for it.

I'm not averse to paying out of pocket for service, no different than my car in the shop now and out of warranty. But I'm hoping to see what you all think about used machines. I see a lot on eBay and many are sales by people who aren't dealers. So they don't know the machine history, etc. So, they seem to be trying to get top-dollar without really understanding that the model of machine isn't the only thing that dictates the price. Many of these machines are specifically no refund. So, obviously, I don't want to spend money on something that may end up being an expensive paperweight.

The only other option is rather than get a used "fancier" machine (i.e. Diamond Deluxe or a Pfaff) is to just buy a brand new Topaz 40 or 50 (although the 40 is more in my price range). Either of these is attainable in a few weeks for me. Anything more than that, and I'm looking at way down the road.

So, would love to get your input on used versus new. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Koda1021; 08-15-2019 at 05:19 AM.