View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 AM
illinois

I buy most of my fabric at JoAnns because I am quilting for fun or everyday use, not for prizes or heirloom quality. I can afford JoAnns and I like going there to be able to touch the fabric for the quality that I want. I have never had a problem with their fabric, even the sort that has the sparkles on it that I have used for grandchildren's quilts. They have held up well with use and laundering. Again, JoAnns carries a variety of fabrics from craft to the better quality--it's up to the shopper to find what they hope to use.
I'm disappointed in what I'm finding at WalMart nowadays though. When I began quilting, they carried so many nice pieces at affordable prices but now I see those selections becoming fewer and thinner. Those I pass on. I have heard that when Mrs. Sam passed away, that's when the fabric dept declined. She wanted that in the stores but the next generation didn't see the need. Whether that's true or not, the depts have dwindled and so has most of the quality that once was there. I still look at WM but am selective of what I purchase. I think their buyers are not those who create as there are mostly focus fabrics and not many blenders.--the "cute" stuff.
But back to the original question on going price of fabric. I think what you have found is pretty much what most fabric of any quality is running--or even higher.