View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 01:57 PM
TransportGal

Default Vintage Spartan Pawn Shop Find

Hi everyone!

My name is Meg, AKA TransportGal and I am a brand new quilting and apparel sewist. I am here because I just picked up a Spartan portable sewing machine at a pawn store in Kentucky today. What exactly is Spartan ? The sticker on the side says:"SIMANCO" "CAT RF-J9-8" and has something about the voltage of the machine. What should I know about a machine like this?

The machine works but I haven't sewn any fabric on it yet. I think that it might be a Singer product and I believe that it is a Model 192 but I am not positive. I like how the bobbin is drop in like my 2013 Janome New Home that I have been using since I started sewing a few months ago.

Here is a picture of the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616585[/ATTACH]

I am in my early 30's and I Love everything vintage! I just bought a couple lots of vintage sewing patterns on Ebay this week and I am hoping to sew something from those patterns on this machine. My husband likes to go to pawn stores to look at guns and I happened to see a sewing machine case on a shelf and when I opened it the machine was in it. The belt looks to be of fairly recent vintage and it has all of its guts. The bobbin mechanism cover isn't in the picture because it fell off in the car and my husband found it later

How do I go about servicing a machine like this? I am actually pretty mechanically inclined. If not, I am going to have to find a Singer service center in the Lexington, KY area.

I had the guy at the pawn shop plug it in and it whirred to life when I pressed the foot pedal: no weird noises or sounds of timing issues. So far, it looks like I have a complete machine. Was $20 fair for a machine like this?

This might be a learning thing for me because I have thought about going to school to fix sewing machines.

Anyway, what should I know about this machine?
Attached Thumbnails spartanbysinger.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-26-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps