View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
It used to be that US farmers were allowed to put in essentially formaldehyde plugs in the trees to keep the sap running longer which was forbidden in Canada. I also like Canadian standards for sausage and meat products and will buy accordingly as well.
I had never heard of this and I live in a big maple producing area. So I did some quick research. The EPA banned it's use in the US in 1982. Canada did not follow suit until almost 10 years later and banned it in 1991. According to a couple of articles I came across, apparently there were some cheaters in Quebec that were discovered about 5 years ago. I have found the best and safest is to simply go right to the source. I get my maple syrup from local producers. My husband keeps bees so I get honey straight from the hives. In the summer when we have farmers markets all over, most of my produce is bought at the farmers market. I go straight to the farmer for a lamb every year for my freezer and I get a pig every other year. I raise my own chickens (both meat birds and egg layers). We used to go up into Quebec to buy cheese form a local cheese factory in the middle of dairy country just over the border. Boy did they have good cheese! Because I simply don't have the freezer space for quarter cow, I do still buy beef from the grocery store as well as italian sausage.

Buying local at the source, if you can, is the most consumer friendly and environmentally friendly way to go.