View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Railroadersbrat

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I found a pretty complete binder of the Spinning Spools at the Goodwill for something like $2.00 and was just looking through it the other day.

For people who have started quilting more recently, the old way of doing things was rather quaint but it is how I learned and largely why I can draft patterns easily now. For the most part all I had were old books at the library that just showed block diagrams. No directions, no settings even for the most part. I'd consider these books to be "intermediate era" now as we do more and more with rulers and other construction methods whether paper piecing or strip piecing or whatever.
I don't think mine are complete and I've thought about looking online to see just how many patterns are missing so I can complete them. I love these books and completely agree about being quaint, I learned just like you did so having these books is like a super bonus. I still trace my pattern pieces sometimes, just sit down with my templates, pens, a cup of coffee or tea, some soft music and can get lost for hours just tracing them out.