Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Hi, I bought a demo APQS Lucey which has a 26 inch neck when I was 61....I am glad I did.....I have done 47 quilts on it...all for myself....what I have discovered is...that I am a utility quilt maker....love making quilts that can be thrown on the floor, have a dog lay on it, be picked up, thrown in the washer and dryer...and be wrapped around a person again.....no fancy quilting...but I love being able to finish my quilts myself....I do wear trifocals...got my eye doc to give me a prescription for "longarm glasses" which corrects the near and mid-range vision...works great...no longer can quilt all day...but three hours is good...and I can do that...cuz my longarm lives in my house.....I also got a 5/8 inch thick 12 foot by 3 foot mat which really helps out my legs and feet....I would suggest like someone else has...taking a class and renting time on a longarm if it is available in your area...or trying out a friend's machine if they are willing....just to make sure you like it....I sure do...much better than trying to find someone to the quilting and much better than basting a queen sized quilt and wrestling with it under my little machine....
This has been a very uplifting thread! I'm like you sewingpup. At the age of 66, last year I purchased a used "no bells, no whistles" LA from a reputable source with close by dealer/support. I never thought I would get a LA (out of my budget) and it's been on the my wish list for years! I have quilted over 30 quilts since then, but the most fun has been watching my two GD's (15 and 13) each meander a quilt this summer. They are both ready to make their second quilts from start to finish! I'm not sure if I will get beyond meandering and it's variations, but it's been fun to finish those "utiilty" quilts that have been wasting away in UFO land!

Please keep us posted as to your decision.