Old 09-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Iona D.

Default The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew

The other day, I entertained the thought of a possible new sewing machine purchase. I thought I might invest in an internal motherboard type Electronic/Computerized sewing machine with some interesting features like Up/Down needle position, automatic buttonhole sewing and selection of multiplet styles, larger harp/throat space, larger detachable table, 100 stitches, etc. under 500 US dollars.

After a week or so of sewing machine browsing online and completing a couple of small projects on my presently owned faithful mechanicals, I came away with a new perspective on not only what type, but more importantly, when, any sewing machine of any make/model should be purchased. I (and perhaps many to most here) needed a dose of a “cold shower” of realism to time this purchase for the best shopping/user experience for the new owner, rather than the corporation. So I did a soul searching back-to-basics approach in proper selection consideration (even if this sounds a bit too basic for most of you).

First off, what is the purpose of a sewing machine? To sew 2 (or more) fabrics together.
How it is done?
With a preselected stitch. And that stitch is 95-98% of the time is the Basic Straight Stitch intended for woven fabrics.
The rest of the time is the Basic Zig Zag or Swing Needle For seam finishing most fabrics, Applique work, sewing knits. I also use Blind Hem stitch very very rarely when I sew garments’ hems. Buttonhole option for making Basic Bar Tack machine made buttonholes.
Everything else I never use. Never. Oh, I do have a Spiegel 3201 mechanical machine with 32 built in Stitches for a year now. I use it for sewing knits together. It has a fantastic Zip Zag Swing Needle stitch which is set constantly on. I thought about using it for quilting with all those other stiches. Just never got around to it.

Another put off is the expected life span of those more Computerized machines. They seems to die far sooner than my cheapie 100 dollar specials. That means it might die right when I need it to complete a particular project. I look for dependable reliable sewing machines to do the job. I can expect my self serviced mechanicals to complete the job at hand. They last and last without the questionable “tune ups” so floated by the sewing centers. The price and the parts is not even worth it to begin with. Not in this world of now-you-see-it-now-you-don’t sewing centers, local quilt shops, fabric stores and the like always disappearing after only a few years.

So I’m interested in what each of you think. Are your collective and individual experiences similar to mine? Are sewing machines of all types now a disposable product? How many stitches/feature do you use? Not what you fancy or play around with. What to complete any sewing task you throw at it?

Love to hear from each of you and thanks in advance.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-22-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps