Old 09-22-2019, 02:05 PM
bkay

Everything is disposable now. My six year old Frigidaire range just went out. At first we weren't going to fix it. The repairman said it would be $350.00, as the main board was out. However, DH and I couldn't agree on what to buy, so decided to fix the range we have. So we spent $260.00 to buy the board and replaced it ourselves. The problem was that the board wasn't what was wrong. The heat sensor was bad ($40.00 and 15 minutes). The appliance guy just scammed us. If I had known how to read the schematic sheet that came with the range, I would have known it was the probe. It was clearly written right there. (The local do-it-yourself appliance guy showed me how to read it).

The same week, my HE washing machine went on the fritz. It needs a new board. Just the board is $160.00. (It's about the same age as the range.)

The whole philosophy of disposable machines is disturbing. If one lousy board is unavailable, the whole thing is dead. Think of the damage to the environment with all the stuff that lands in the landfill. Manufacturing these electronic gadgets uses horrible chemicals and metals. Someone has to clean up that mess and it's usually the tax payer and end user.

I'll get off my soapbox, now. I guess this last couple of weeks of dying machines opened my eyes to the cost of our "smart" machines.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 09-22-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: wrong word