Thread: Bread machines
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Iceblossom

I've been devouring this thread virtually because I had to cut out basically all bread products in order to manage my diabetes. Back in my early 20s I baked weekly, usually just french bread for me, and a batch of rolls for my roommate (aka, my friend in Phoenix who gave me the Bernina) but I had sort of an open house Saturday mornings and would also make sweet rolls or specialty bakes. I can make me some mean cakes too, but never a good pie crust somehow.

The single thing I miss most in my current way of eating is everything bagels. Drool...

So I can't have a bread machine, I still look when I see a nice one in the box with the manual at the thrift store but I know I can't be trusted with it. When I baked, I did everything in a large bread bowl, that's what those huge ceramic bowls are for. You can warm it up with warm water first, proof the yeast and you do all the mixing and kneading in the bowl, I would put a towel down in one side of my sink for a good work height. Living in Alaska meant I had to do things like warm up the bowl! Would also raise baked goods in the dishwasher during the no-heat dry cycle.