View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 05:10 PM
AprilM

Well, a very sad update... i gave this quilt a couple weeks ago to the Mom of my bosses who suddenly fell ill at age 94. She was a wonderful and very loving woman and like a Mom to me. She had the quilt for less than a week and it covered her the entire time and that is how she passed.

She was herself a quilter involved with giving quilts to others and we always showed each other what we were working on. She was just fine - even still driving - the last time i saw her. In fact i had shown her the quilt top the last time i saw her and her eyes just glowed.

I actually had a couple more quilts planned to finish before this one. For some reason i felt compelled to finish this one first. It took me 3 days to get it quilted and bound. I wasnt totally happy with it (you know - stuff you see but nobody else does). I put it in my car when i went to work that Monday morning because Lola usually stopped in after she went to quilting on Monday mornings at her church. I wanted to make sure i showed it to her done.

I left the quilt in the car when i went in to work on Monday morning thinking i would get it when Lola stopped in. One of my bosses met me at the door to break the news that Lola had apparently had six mini strokes overnight and was in the hospital. It was then i knew that quilt was for her - the lady who had given so many quilts to others. I wrestled with myself about the part of the quilt i felt i could have done better (the binding - i tried a different method and i really didnt like it at all). I felt that i should do it over but i knew in my heart that i didnt have time to take it all off and put it back on again. I took it home that night to at least fix the part that bothered me the most.

On Tuesday i asked my boss to take it to her with my love and he did. I never saw her again, somehow i knew that she didnt want me to see her in her condition. Her grandson later told me that she immediately recognized the quilt - he told her that i didnt think i did a good enough job on it and she scowled - he reported that back to me! She didnt like me picking apart my quilts.

I feel so blessed to have been able to give that quilt to my dear friend. And i am so glad that i didnt let my pride over a job i didnt think was “good enough” prevent me from giving her this one last gesture of my love for her. I will miss her forever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails a9cba08c-9c0c-4a1c-ba40-3dcc240ccec2.jpeg