View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM
emperessally

Hi all—

You are all very correct in that I am new and therefore considering a longarm is a bit crazy.
This is actually my second “start” in the hobby. First started in grad school back before Youtube and didnt have time to go to the guild or shop meetings to get help/learn, so quit.
Fast forward 15 (ack) years and I spur of the moment bought a new machine Brother Bottom of the line Innovis from a local dealer while 8 months pregnant!
Started actually sewing when baby girl was about 8 months old. She is now 2 and 4 months.

I actually pieced almost the entire top for her brother in March while trying not to go crazy waiting for labor to start

So yes I do realize that I am a bit gung-ho but I have already finished 3 complete quilts, have 3 more tops done, 3 in the process of piecing.
Being able to watch videos has changed my skill set and opened up my sewing.
I have been sending my quilts out for long arming because I know I will not enjoy basting.

So I took a longarming rental certification class.
I only plan to quilt for myself.
I hear everyone about trying out the machines and I have time rented out for the class I took next month.
I work FT and have small children so the hard part is that the stores that rent, only want to do so during working business hours.Which I totally understand, but I quilt nights/weekends which makes it hard to practice my skills.
I know its a bit crazy. The dealer salesperson keeps calling trying to sell me this “great deal” so I thought I would ask.
I have decided the earliest I would actually buy is May when the local big sewing expo happens and I can try all the machines and have rented out time and hopefully quilted those 6 tops to make sure I am indeed committed.

Didnt mean to come across as a flake, I really am loving quilting tho and just wanted some opinions

Best!

A

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps