View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 AM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by Tish05 View Post
As a new quilter, this thread makes me feel inadequate. I've espoused the "done is better than perfect" because perfection is unobtainable for me, and every stitch I make helps with the learning curve. I'm not the kind of person who can practice, practice, practice on a piece of fabric that doesn't matter. I need to have an actual project to complete. I figure that as long as I see improvements in the quilts that I'm making, at each stage of the process, I have to be happy with that. Otherwise I might just as well put my sewing machine away and give up.
Please don't be discouraged comparing yourself to someone who has been quilting for years and therefore has the skills to be very picky. I might not be quilting today if it hadn't been for the nice ladies in my LQS. I brought my first quilt top in to choose borders and I was so embarrassed! It was a mess. But the associate who helped me looked at my top and said it looked fine to her, and the owner of the shop said, 'We're here to have fun, not to be perfect.' I'm so thankful they were my first contact in the world of quilting! My pickiness has increased as my skills have improved, and I'm sure it will be the same for you.