Old 11-16-2019, 11:48 AM
LRM

Default Will more throat space really make a difference??

I am thinking of purchasing a second machine. I have a Bernina Activa (ten years old or so) with 6 1/4 inches to the right of the needle. I like this machine - my only complaint is that it is small. So I am considering a Juki 2010 to use for the quilting part of quilting, and keep the Bernina for piecing and regular sewing. The Juki seems popular, but I have heard that tension can be tricky to get just right with this type of semi-industrial and that a bigger Bernina or Janome might be a better way to go. But then $$ comes into play. The Juki is 9 inches of throat space (plus a taller throat) and $1000, and I can get a Janome (8200/8900) with 11 inches of throat space for about $3500 - $4000. I love Bernina but to get 10 inches of space (the 790) the price is $6500.

My questions for you wonderful quilters are: Will more throat space really make a difference? Will it make the process more enjoyable? How much throat space do I really need? Do you use one machine for piecing and another for quilting??

Thanks for sharing you insights and experience!