Old 11-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Iceblossom

I was given a modern Bernina 820 which has a not only huge but well lit throat/work space. I have gotten spoiled because I had access to a long-arm for several years and now I don't. Although I know I could, I don't want to do anything larger than a twin right now. I know I have a simple queen or two in the future as well but I'm going to ignore that for now.

I can't go back to my old vintage work horse that had a perfect quilt stitch that I used for machine quilting for more than a decade. Just don't want to deal with shoving all that fabric under the needle again. I'm not as young as I once was and man, I can feel a day of wrestling fabric. To be honest I can feel a day of standing at the long-arm too, but at least I can still walk at the end of the day!

There were a number of problems with the 820 and it was quickly discontinued. Mine was given to me almost exactly a year ago and I've had it in heavy use with no real problems until last week and I just can't clear this message. My stitch is fine, my thread is fine, my bobbin is fine. It was one of those things were everything was just fine the night before and the next day everything is the same but it is not working.

Anyway, I'd consider a traded-in 820 that has been factory reconditioned and comes with a service warranty. Think your cost is going to be more around 2.5-3k.