Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM
DonnaC

Default Gift for a Good Sewing Friend - Suggestions Please

Hello ladies. I have a bit of a quandary and I’m looking for suggestions!

I have a very good friend I’ve known for 30+ years (we met through our Smocking Guild). She recently lost her mom and has been clearing out her mom’s house getting it ready to sell. She comes from a long line of needle artists; her mom was actually the founder of the rug hooking guild here in R.I. and was also a seamstress, a quilter, you name it, they’ve done it.

In the process of cleaning out her mom’s house, she gave me a beautiful antique rocking chair. The seat and back are done in petit-point but my friend is not sure who actually did it (could have been her mom, her great-aunt, who knows because all of her family were wonderful needle workers). She was going to try to sell it but ended up giving it to me and wouldn’t take any money for it.

So my dilemma is this – I really want to give her something to say thanks for this beautiful chair. (I put a photo below so you can see how gorgeous it is.) – she has all of her own stash, plus all of her mom’s stash now too and is totally running out of room in her own house. So, it can’t be anything sewing-related (notions, etc.) or even a quilt because she has so many quilts now, both hers and mom’s, that she doesn’t know what to do with them all!

I thought about a gift card to JoAnn’s but she’s not a fan of the place (LOL) and besides which her house and potting shed are full of fabric (the potting shed is the hiding place from hubby!). I know JoAnn’s sells other things but she’s not one to want the latest and greatest notions or rulers or anything like that, she does everything the old-fashioned ways and enjoys that. By profession, she is a horticulturist and has many different gardens at her house (she lives way out in the country) so a plant or flowers is out of the question too!

I am stumped!! Any ideas for me??
Attached Thumbnails ruthann-chair.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps