View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Iceblossom

In terms of fabric, yes I do have some "kits" put together. So I have a project that will be a sampler of 9 lone star blocks made to look like snowflakes. I also have a group of fabrics put together for a Christmas string quilt. It's been "in progress" now for a couple of years, but I am also consider my Barn/Harvest top as on-going. I have to make a few pieced blocks and once I have them I can layout and organize the quilt. It's a more contemporary idea and not just blocks in rows, will be mostly randomly sized and shaped pieces of fabric.

Sometimes I find fun things in the thrift store, so I have some hand cross-stitched blocks from the 70s. The fabric they are on is pretty flimsy and I'm going to prequilt it onto some thin batting before I put the sashing together. Friend gave me a bag of batting scraps and one of my "quick" projects is to cut those to proper size. Again, that is all kitted out to the extent that the sashing is already cut and ready to go (another "quick" project).

I want to make some "Bad Sue" blocks. Do a search on Bad Sunbonnet Sue to get an idea. I don't think they will ever be made into a quilt or even a wall hanging, but I'm putting together a bundle for when I want small projects. I have a vision of "Prisoner Sue" with this small scrap of grey and white striped fabric I got in a thrift store bundle. Sue's prison number will be stitched with my fancy machine -- 8675309, otherwise known as Jenny Jenny's phone number (song by Tommy Tutone).

Having a lot of stash can be awesome or it can sort of drag you down. I have my boxes of fabric sorted into color or theme boxes, it can be daunting to pull a bunch of fabric. I have to go to a lot of effort and time in order to be able to find fabric when I want it. So this last year I started grabbing fabrics that appealed to me as I was going through the boxes and made a "potential" project box. It's things that will work together but I don't yet have a plan. That's the nice thing about being stashless -- you can go to a fabric store and search for specific things or you can find fabric that moves you and plan around it.