View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Iceblossom

Obviously the brand you get can change the results, these are what I got from the Dollar Store, they were rolled up.

It's always interesting when I do these tests. I washed the fabrics as I prefer to do, loose in with my other color sorted laundry. Prior to washing, I did find one puncture flaw in the polka dot fabric. The thread and weave were otherwise consistent in both fabrics. It is on the lighter weight side of things but not flimsy.

For both pieces of fabric, I lost about an inch in one direction, slightly less in the other, because I think the selvedge doesn't ravel. Roughly half of that or 1/4" each side was fray, the rest seems to be shrinkage. When I first unrolled the pieces the seemed rather nicely square, but you can see after washing how skewed the edge is, the ruler is lined up with the selvedge.

End report, now that they have been preshrunk/prepared, I'd still use the fabric in a use quilt or for crafts or doll clothes like they say. And for the final thought, the standard 1/4 yard width of fabric piece also in the wash tangled things up like a snake!
Attached Thumbnails 100_5402-1-.jpg   100_5404.jpg