View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Peckish, don't say that. i have tons of apple cores cut out. hopefully hand stitching will not be in my future. my fingers do not like it. I love curves though. mainly drunkard's path blocks so far.
Well, there are two options I came up with as alternatives. The first is to turn under the edges and applique them. This actually works pretty well. I tried both hand and machine applique, both were pretty successful, but the machine method was much faster. I used tiny dots of washable Elmer's to keep the pieces in place, then stitched just a hair over the folded edge, it turned out great.

The other alternative is one I saw at a vendor's booth somewhere. I smacked myself in the head and said "why didn't I think of that." She simply sewed the pieces as raw-edge applique, and used the inevitable fraying as a design element. I plan to take that step even further by sewing chenille strips on top of the raw edges, if I can find whatever corner I chucked that UFO in. I plan on making my own chenille by cutting 1/2" wide strips, layering them 3 or 4 deep on the seam, then stitching on top. Once it's washed and dried, I'll take a stiff chenille brush to fluff the fibers and make the quilt very texture-y. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.