Old 01-04-2020, 05:34 PM
platyhiker

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage View Post
And you sound very confident, which is half the battle, imho. I can't tell you how many people I've met at shows and classes who are afraid to try longarming.
Confidence is one thing I have plenty of, when it comes to various types of crafting! I think it is a huge benefit to learn to sew clothes early on, because to sew fitting garments you are expected to modify modify the pattern: if your waist measures for size 8 and hips for size 12, first cut the pattern out at size 12 then taper the pattern in to the size 8 line at the waist, if your arms are shorter or longer than the arm used for the sleeve design, shorten or lengthen the pattern piece, etc. I learned to sew in middle school and then sewed through high school for the drama club (with some very good help from mother here and there), and modifying patterns for fit and sometimes for simplification (no need to spend time on details that can't be seen from 30 feet away when doing drama costumes) taught me to always consider modifying or adapting patterns or instructions. Since then, I've applied that concept to a variety crafts: knitting, beading, and quilting among them.

I think it's wonderful to see Angela Walters video of her young (maybe age 10 or 12?) daughter doing long arm quilting by herself. I think that sort of thing would help more people get started. That and the recognition that it's not going to be prize winning quality on day one - like anything, it's a skill and it will take some work to get good at it.