Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 AM
RuthiesRetreat3

Originally Posted by Aescley View Post
Hello folks,

As per the title, I am currently trying to complete my first ever quilting project. I probably set the bar too high to start, as I am making a throw sized quilt, rather than starting with placemats or something.

The issue I had relates to the actual quilting. My machine doesn't have a walking foot (it's an old hand-me-down from my mother) and I at first didn't think that would be too big of an issue if I was careful. Now that I've quilted approximately half of the quilt top, I am wondering if I should rip it all out. The reason is because even though I pinned all the layers together with of safety pins, I seem to have puckers and even a couple areas where the fabric folds over on itself, leaving a permanent wrinkle in the quilt top. The bottom looks fine.

I'm wondering if a more experienced quilter can tell me if I'm right about the problem probably being my lack of walking foot, and if my best course of action is to rip it all out and start over? I've found a fabric store that offers rentals of sewing machines that have walking feet, so I could go there and use their machines for a small hourly fee.

I hope that made sense, and thank everyone in advance for any advice! I'm hopefully going to have this done well enough to be a christmas present, fingers crossed...

Think of it as a learning episode. You are learning your hand/eye skills, your machine capabilities, and many other little lessons that all quilters learn.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-28-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps