Old 01-31-2020, 10:30 AM
selm

I had a part-time longarm business for several years but I felt too pressured when doing other's quilts. I never really pushed the business. I belonged to one, very large guild but their rules forbade me to reach out to members individually through email/mail for business. One ad in their membership booklet didn't result in much business. Eventually, I just decided I didn't want to do it for others.

Aside from the business angle I do want to point out some things:
Physical comfort: be sure you have your table at the right height ergonomically(I am short and spent the money for hydraulics to be sure I had the right height for my comfort level). Also it is worth it to have foam blocks along both sides of the table so you are not standing on a hard floor for hours(I have my machine on a basement concrete floor but with the foam don't have leg problems at all). I also use zippered leaders and find this helps with physical comfort also. You can sit anywhere to apply or remove zippers and not have to stand at the table so long.
I don't like a lot of heavy quilting and don't do fmq well so my business and personal quilting is pantographs and ruler work. This worked for my business and my own quilting.

Last edited by selm; 01-31-2020 at 10:32 AM.