Old 02-01-2020, 03:48 PM
quiltingshorttimer

You've gotten some great advice from those that have either owned a long arm business, or currently run one. I bought used for me and maybe even business to offset the cost of my quilting "addiction". there is definitely a learning curve whether you are doing hand guided or computer guided. Also, if you are not involved in quilt guilds you would have to really "work" the PR aspect. I do many samples for the LQS--we have a deal that she gives me credit and promotion and I do her's for free (not all of them though). This has really helped with my business and I also get many quilts from friends in quilt guild. But since I also work PT at another job I have to decide how many quilts I'm willing to take-on. I'm finding that I have become more selective of the # of quilt jobs I take on the older I get as I want more time for my own quilting and it can be hard on your body. I do mostly custom quilting and find that few want to actually pay what I charge for that--which is ok. So if you are interested in actually making enough to pay off the machine or make a substantial amount,I suggest you get computer guided due to the speed (especially since it sounds like you have the computer skills).But be totally aware of the Long Arm saturation in your area--mine is well saturated--can be a big factor. Like a dealer rep for the brand of machine I have told me one time, the ability to purchase a new machine totally on credit in our area and pay it off with a quilting business probably is not possible.