View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 PM
moonrise

I won't be able to participate this time. My plate is overflowing. In fact, my plate is running all down my sleeve, into the floor, and all the way out into the yard. The plan was to start doing my craft fairs much earlier this year because DH's work hours had been cut, so some extra pennies would be helpful. Then about 3 weeks ago, I started having pain and a weird bulge just above my belly button, and finally ended up going to the doctor. He confirmed what I was thinking, and sent me straight to a surgeon.

I have a great big 5-6" non-reduceable hernia that needs to be fixed "yesterday", because it's at high risk of becoming life-threatening. They've got me on a "watch", and if anything at all changes, I'm to drop everything and run to the ER immediately. In the meantime, I'm not to do any lifting or straining whatsoever. I had all the pre-op testing done on Monday (fun), and I have robotic/laparascopic surgery scheduled for February 20. Ironically, the surgeon feels that the hernia was caused by a laparascopic procedure I had done in 2004, so it seems strange to me that he's going to fix it using the same method. He's got excellent ratings, so I guess (hope!) he knows what he's doing. LOL! I'll have mesh to make a wall (of sorts) to close off the hernia. He showed me a sample of the mesh. Being a fabric person, you know I had to touch it! It's basically a white plastic-looking screen with hexagon-shaped holes. It's stiffer and has a rougher texture than I would've imagined, but it's supposed to be the best. The surgeon assured me that I wouldn't be able to feel it, but said that, at first, I'd swear up and down that I could. He said that sensation is just part of the healing process, not actually the mesh itself. He said it'll most likely be done on an outpatient basis (good!), and that I'd have a drain pump thingy for a week afterwards (ugh). I'm not sure how long the recovery time will be. Another irony is that, during all of this medical stuff, DH's work hours have picked up again ... but he's having to take off work to take me to all of these appointments. Doesn't that just figure!

As he can, DH has been helping me iron and rotary-cut things for my craft fairs, to keep me from lifting or straining my tummy muscles, so at least I've been able to continue sewing. I'm planning to put together some freezer meals tomorrow so I don't have to worry about cooking after my surgery. Just thaw 'em and pop 'em in the crock pot. I did have to cancel out of two of my February and March events, but hopefully I won't be down for long. I intend to bounce right back afterwards! (I'm just not sure how bouncy I am anymore, with all these gray hairs that keep popping out. LOL!)

I'll be watching from the sidelines, and oooh-ing and aaah-ing over the blocks. Hopefully I can do the next Boom, time ... and bounciness ... permitting.