View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
grammypatty7

I use a variation of Marti's techniques and I work in panels rather than the entire top. I do a 3 row panel which is 3 or 4 blocks across and 3 rows down. I prefer 3 blocks across and down as it's easier for me to reach in and do the hand quilting. I then layer the next panel or border on and quilt it and continue that way. I layer using what she refers to as her 6 layer seam but I don't catch the batting in the joining seam but just butt it up snug to the edge of the sewn seam. I've been using this technique for years and it's easy and fun to do. Most of the time my seams line up perfectly unless I get into a hurry and get careless. I do like what I've read in the QAYG tutorial on this website though. I've done something similar in the past and in fact that's how I originally started and then switched to working with panels. Yes, I do have seams on the backside and they have worn beautifully. The little bit of mending on quilts 25 years old were due to children dragging them through the house and tearing them and NOT due to my quilting, quilting style or choice of fabric.
Patty
Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by dunster
There is another option, which is quilting in sections. See Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections - http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...7225218&sr=1-1

I used several of the methods in this book on all my large quilts (until I got a longarm) and it made the quilting process much easier.
I agree - Marti's method is GREAT. It's especially nice because you sew your whole quilt top together before you start quilting. That way, you can be sure your block corners actually MATCH!

I sew the batting together with my edge stitching foot and the faggoting stitch - although any zig zag stitch would work. It REALLY doesn't flatten the batting.