Thread: Piecing Help
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 06:36 AM
Iceblossom

Hello and welcome! Some machines seem to have more issues with that than others, a single punch needle plate can help, but some I think it's the way the feed dogs are designed/engaged.

ASome fabrics are just worse for that issue as well continue to have problems with chain piecing. I use the starter/spider method, and sometimes deliberately start in the center of the piece when going down the hole seems like the problem of the day. My problem with intending to use blocks to start chains with means I'd have to protect that block somehow too, so I just use a scrap piece of fabric until it is positively hairy (the spider legs).

I second Barb2018's suggestion of checking your needle. Most people don't change them often enough but I figure they are one of the cheapest and easiest ways I have to improve my quilting and I change every project at least once. If you ever hear a pooka pooka pooka sound as you are stitching it means your needle is beyond dull and should have been replaced awhile ago.

Not quite your issue here, but I'm a big fan of using a quilter's foot that has 1/4" markings left, right, front and back. It allows me to do a bunch of stuff easily. It's hard to explain but a picture is worth a thousand words so have included one. Typically we sew with the bulk of the fabric to the left/outside and our seam allowance is to the right. My main problem with fabric getting sucked down is with little triangles so there isn't all that much fabric to handle and I've found using my quilting foot to be awesome, fast, and exact. You simply flip the pieces so that the points interconnect and it helps the feed dogs keep the puppies moving!

Edit/PS: I'm also in the cut large and trim down camp, another way to avoid those problem starts.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5460.jpg