View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Vasilisa

Default Ancient Unexpected Inspiration

I have been meaning to share these photos for a while, but it is only now that I finally have time for it. Last year in November I travelled to Rome. Among a thousand wonders I found something that strongly reminded me of quilts... That was the mosaics on the floor of ancient churches.

The first set of photos comes from Basilica Santa Maria in Ara Coeli, which is situated very close to Forum Romanum, which was the very center of Rome in ancient times. The basilica itself was built in the 6th century. I am filled with awe and respect when I think how difficult it must have been to piece all those elements - I cannot achieve with cotton what they did with marble. And that it is still there more or less in one piece after centuries of being tramped upon.

The fifth photo was taken at Capitolini Museums. The information where the mosaic comes originally from is there, but I cannot remember (of course, it was somewhere in Rome).

My hand that you can see in the photos is there for the scale, ot because I am so clumsy I don't know how to get it out of the picture Photos of floor tiles were taken directly above them - those tiles are small.
Attached Thumbnails ara-coeli-1.jpg   ara-coeli-2.jpg   ara-coeli-3.jpg   ara-coeli-4.jpg   musei-capitolini.jpg