View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 05:38 AM
Iceblossom

Welcome to the boards. I'm waving from a safe personal distance below you in the Seattle area. I find myself watching more and more CBC these days.

It will be just fine for baby just thrown into the general wash. I think the biggest harm to baby quilts is the use of bleach, but if they are going to add it/dry bleach it degrades the fabric and there is nothing we can do about it.

You used plenty of quilting to stabilize and keep the layers together. I've been quilting about 40 some years now and I believe in the mantra: Machine sewn, machine quilted, machine washable!

I had a really rough bout with allergies and had to wash all my bedding at least monthly (pillow cases were weekly). With less quilting, my "use" quilts hold up pretty good for about 10 years of monthly washing. Since usually I didn't quilt that densely 20 years, what happens is the centers of the large blocks of unquilted fabric start to rot out from the middle, leaving the seams and the areas around the quilting still quite solid.