Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Iceblossom

Dollar store generally has a couple of sizes of blue tape in stock. It is not the best blue tape, but it is handy. I find it gets brittle/old fairly fast and has more problems coming off the roll than the name brand, but it still does what I want, which is stick stuff together until I want to take it apart. I'd check how much is on the roll too when comparison shopping, sometimes the items look better individually than in a bulk buy. They also, btw, have safety pins (some of which are a lot better than others). For short term use, it doesn't matter so much. In terms of investment items, buy the quilter brass ones with the little curve in the bar. Pins, safety pins, staples, can all rust and cause various problems if left in fabric too long. In humid areas "too long" might be a fairly short period of time.

Were you going to use the blue tape to mark your quilting line? You can also use regular old fashioned masking tape for that. I think most people peel off about a foot or so of tape at a time and reposition it multiple times rather than a single long piece.

It takes more pins than a person would think. I probably have close to 500 and they are in a cigar box sized container. I typically stack nine pins onto one so have counts of ten and can loosely count/throw them out where needed.