Thread: First Quilt
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 AM
CaleyH

My first quilt is finished. I finished the binding yesterday. But I had a great deal of difficulty with the invisible joining part, and ended up just bashing the two binding ends together. I did machine binding, as my fingers don't like the needle work anymore..

I had watched three videos on how to do that diagonal binding joining after you circled the entire quilt. But for some reason I could not figure out how to place the two ends of the fabric to get that done, even with all that video help. It's just a problem with how I see things, or it could have just been a bad day. Maybe my second quilt will have that finished look, instead of the straight joining seam with lots of stitching to hold things together.

Overall, I am happy. It is at least functional. as a lap quilt. It measures 41 x 54 inches, so it is small. Wonder how anyone makes the larger queen sized quilts? Must be a real challenge to manipulate such a great amount of fabric through the sewing machine.

Thanks for all the help. I definitely needed all the suggestions on how to quilt, and all the various tools required. Still need some of those tools, like the wonder clips. I used small alligator clips normally used in electrical work. They worked well to secure the binding fabric to the edge until sewn.
Attached Thumbnails binding-done-small.jpg