Old 07-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Tish05

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My Bernina has a wide foot (I think that's what you mean). I put the zipper foot or one of the other narrower feet on to get into small places.
That's not the problem that I had. I drew the problem on this picture of my Janome 9400. You can see the path that the fabric has to take to get under the needle. The shape of the left side of the housing makes for a difficult transition with a very stiff bag to get the bottom seam under the needle. I was practically smashing the bag to try to get that bottom seam done. I ended up having to do a fair amount of ripping and restitching to get the corners anywhere close to what was a decent seam. The front of these vintage machines goes almost straight down and to the foot and I didn't have to spend that much. I don't think this is the same with industrial machines but I didn't want to put out that much money. I probably spent more than many of you would have but I wasn't looking for a project, just a machine I could take home and use without much to be done to it. Also I'm in Canada and I don't see the types of prices many of you say you can pick these machines up for.
Attached Thumbnails janome-needle-placement.jpg