View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:19 AM
L'il Chickadee

Hi, closej and welcome! It's exciting to get back to quilting but not so exciting when you take a nose dive. Feeling your pain.
So, I'm looking at the link. The quilt pattern I see is Cleared for Takeoff and finishes at 41 inches square. Looks like there are two borders, an inner border of white and outside border of a blue windowpane check. At 41 inches I'm estimating the outer border is 3 inches wide and the inner is 1 1/2 inches wide. And the blocks are 8 inches.
I'd do one of two things;
Change the inside border, either switch it out with the blue which would allow you enough fabric, or decrease its width to a half inch so you have made up the two inches.
The other idea is to stay with the blue outside border, make some blue cornerstones, then on either side of the cornerstones (between the cornerstone and the border piece) insert a four patch block just like in the quilt.
Basically, think of ideas that would be in keeping with the original design and build on that.
Also, remember how potato chips were invented. A French chef botched a recipe. Thoroughly frustrated and pressured for time, he followed a whim and threw potato slices in a pot of hot oil. Mistakes make opportunities.