Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM
Iceblossom

There are traditional batiks that use more wax and other "batiks" that aren't really. My friends give me fabrics they aren't willing to work with because I will boil them and I've gotten two commercially produced green batiks that remained bleeders. I've had most problems myself with dark blue batiks and some purples.

I bought a back of hand-dyed fabrics from the thrift store, beautiful things and they had been starched but never color set. I've gotten pretty good at setting colors at this point!

My own ruined quilt story came from a quilt shop quality maroon fabric that I had prewashed but that was before color catchers. When I washed the finished quilt, the sophisticated silver grey, blue, and maroon top with sparkles of white had turned into a network of baby pink squares.... That fabric never stopped releasing dye. I found another piece from the line, it's the darker one. I washed it once myself, I assume whoever got rid of it washed it as well so it is already lighter than at purchased. The other piece has been washed 7-8 times now, still releases dye in a color catcher.
Attached Thumbnails bad-fabric.jpg