Thread: Do you can
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 04:17 PM
tlrnhi

Originally Posted by julie
I just started canning again 2 years ago after many years away from it. I can peaches (from Michigan), tomatoes. We get lots of apples from my uncle and I would like to try canning them or apple pie filling. Has anyone ever done this? Does it turn out good? I've seen recipes on the internet, but I'm a little leery. I don't know anyone who has canned apples. I tried freezing them and it's a disappointment, to say the least.
I miss being able to do canning. I would make pickles, jams, jellies, apple butter, pear butter, all sorts of things! Would can everything pretty much I could get my hands on. I would find recipes off the internet and also use BALL'S CANNING BOOK.

I used to make what I called Apple Pie in a Jar.
I would can the apple pie filling, then put that in a basket, include a nice pie pan and a box of pie crust mix and give it at a housewarming gift or for teachers. It was a great hit!
You would make up the crust, then dump in the filling and bake!
I tried it with pumpkin, but didn't come out that well. I ALWAYS make FRESH pumpkin pies, never out of a can. My family is sooo spoiled! They aren't liking life right now because since I can't get fresh pumpkin, that means NO pie! lol